Friday, February 26, 2010

Untitled

Africa. Spills off my tongue. Third syllable punctuates flight confirmations. Paradigms flash across mental screen. Concepts I'm familiar with from worlds away. Acquainted through pictures, blogs, books, movies, stories. Acquainted in the comfort and safety of my bubble world.


I have no name for this. Naive. Curious. Broken -- but not really. How can I know if I'm really broken? Vague. Stories without sensory experience.


This mama's dreams for her children coming true: That their faith experience would echo the words of C.S. Lewis, "Course' he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the King, I tell you." (Chapter 8, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe)


A jumble of anticipation, fear, excitement. Change my heart. Help me see with new spiritual eyesight. What do you see when you look on humanity? What did you experience when you exchanged Heaven's perfection for physical depravity? What does "has no place to lay His head" mean exactly? Rock this family's world and never let us be the same.



Six weeks until departure. Malawi.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, hooray! Craig's trip to Africa was pivotal for our whole family. We are still riding the ripples of that trip plunking into our life. And, the rest of us didn't even go! I wonder if a trip like yours will one day encompass our whole family. We will be praying for you. Are you fund raising? Please let us know if you are.

    We will pray for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am currently reading a Wilbur Smith "Assegai" It is in Africa. I have just started to read; however, every time I pick it up, I am in Africa. The main character is Leon a British gentleman. He is completely in love with Africa, its people, its land, and animals. For him, it is Africa. I think about us "The Hoppers" for us, it's the beach, the tropic, eating fresh sea food...Africa could be for your family. I know Peter has the best memories of his childhood in Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "It's all about how you are wired." Someone said that to me once :) Your family is wired for this, and I am excited I experience the journey through your blog.

    ReplyDelete