Thursday, July 30, 2009

Soli Deo Gloria

Behind in my blogging... (time for blitz update...)

April 15, 2009 ~ Arrival in Rome, Italy...
a nap in sunshine dappled dreams
wispy white cotton-breeze kisses across sleepy faces
black and white Amsterdam visions

April 17 ~ Remembrances of 7-year old girl, full of daydreams... living in Nephi, Utah... looking up through branches from floor of treehouse...
Colosseum in Rome... 30 years later, exactly
Boys all excitement... "gladiators fought here!"

The Vatican... Sistine Chapel
Michelangelo
three panels of getting it right
the Creation
Lord, help me remember the all-important process...

May 10, 2009 ~ Mother's Day
Keukenhof Festival, Netherlands... Holland...

...the reason I hear Happy Mother's Day

this man who didn't bring me flowers on Mother's Day...
because he took me half way round the world... to the flowers instead...

this man of my dreams

this day spent in moments of shared inside jokes...

I love you's
...because you're mine...

and I love you more than the seas are vast sentiments at the North Sea

...this shared mission
ordained as parents
to treasure the arrows
in our quiver
How loud is your love?
Do you hear those waves crashing upon the shore, Small One?
How big is your love?
When you look out over the sea, do you notice how far, how wide, how deep, Beloved?
May 18 ~ Making memories in Morocco...

May 19 ~ This family that is a dream-come-true
building pyramids on the Balcony of Europe,
on the Costa del Sol in Spain
Mediterranean Sea for a backdrop
Birthday-girl at the top
...and then exploring Andalucian Hills
from tops of horses
etching Mediterranean views
and one another's smiles
in our memories
From time to time... the space differs slightly,
Switzerland, Spain, Austria, France, Italy, Belgium...
but I always lean in close,
my heart in the whisper, "I'm glad I'm married to you"
this man who is relentless in his
pursuit of my heart
~ Gibralter...

~ and Metz, France on June 7th
~ Mother's Day (in the country of France!)...
list of my favorite things (in no particular order):
weather (rainy/drizzly... overcast... snuggle-to-stay-warm sweater-weather)
my man
these treasures who call me Mom
friends to share Metz with... Claudine, Peter, and Eva...
...open doors...

...reflections...

...and sword fights in the rain... umbrellas drawn from sheaths...
this friendly duel between comrades.

...And Family Photo Ops in Front of Fountains...

Sometime later in June ~ Idar-Oberstein
with more favorite friends... four simply living...
gemstone museums, church in the rocks, castle ruins,
and more open doors.
~ Sometime during the first week of July while Uncle Jake and Aunt Kathy were here and we were on our travels to Paris, Munich, Poland, and then Amsterdam (over 3 weeks time).
Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, WOW! What a ride!
July 28th ~ yesterday... 2-year anniversary of our arrival here in Germany...
one more year (officially... unless...)
Soli Deo Gloria (To God Alone be the Glory)

3 comments:

  1. Splendid. Simply, wonderfully nourishing. I'd forgotten how romantic and rich my life is until I saw it unmistakable there in the pictures and phrases gathered like smooth stones fished out of the path and into the palm. What a GIFT. Thanks.

    The very essence of who ya'all are makes the world a better place. Love to you half around the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, oh wow do I love that post! I can't tell you how I wish I had been blogging during our time there. I'm so thankful you are, so glad to live this through you, so happy to have made friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved it, loved it! Not as "in depth" as you usually get, but so heartfelt and sweet. I love your adventures and your life, you always make me feel a part of it even though I am across the ocean. Hard to believe it is two years, but personally I hope you make it many more.

    ReplyDelete