Sunday, July 15, 2007

Motion Sickness

This morning was the third time we were supposed to be on an airplane on our way to Germany. Our third canceled flight... The State Department said they sent the passports by FedEx and that they "should arrive by Saturday." (That was yesterday.) It all sounded so official so we booked our flight, zipped up the last bag stacked by the door, and waited. By yesterday afternoon... Well, anyway, we're still here.

I'm feeling the first severe signs of motion sickness from the lurching forward of our plans and the sudden stop of those plans. Is this what Moses felt like when they were all trying to get out of Egypt? (Don't take that wrong... We love Spokane... Okay, am I just digging myself into a hole? You know what I mean...) Anyway, back in February, I was crying out to the Lord and asking for a revelation about the "next big adventure in our lives." The Lord answered me. In Exodus 14:13-14 it says, "Moses answered the people, 'Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.'" (Italics mine.) The "Egyptians" I've been "afraid" of is the tendency to settle into the comfort zone where everything is familiar and safe -- and the dreaded disease of mediocrity begins to fester and ooze. For several weeks I meditated on what it meant to "stand firm" and the fact that I needed "only to be still."

This morning I am focused -- again -- on the goal of "being still." No more motion sickness. God has a plan. He will fight for me; I will be still and stand firm. I will wait on Him.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sharon,
    Love reading your blog! Sorry to hear about no passports...can't wait to see how God is going to use this!

    ReplyDelete