Saturday, September 19, 2009

Greetings From Ansbach, Germany!

I was five-years old when my uncles, Gordon, Brian and Lee, were in high school. While my friends hung posters of Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi on their bedroom walls, I was dazzled by my uncles. In my eyes, they were handsome, kind, smart, and they could do anything! They were on a pedestal of the grandest scale. (In fact, one of these days I'll tell you more about them.) They could sing (oh! could they ever sing), act, play Scrabble and do Crossword Puzzles (at five, I thought it was amazing that they knew all those words!), ride motorcycles, and play football.

So I understand this grand pedestal thing, this cheering-fans-can-I-please-have-your-autograph phenomenon when it comes to Eli and his three adoring siblings. Not to mention two adoring parental fans. Eli is a star. And while each of our children have their shining star moments, lately it's mostly Eli as he dons his football gear for another game.

This weekend I am filled with nostalgia. Autumn does this for me. Yesterday I sat on the bleachers watching our Bitburg Barons go up against the Ansbach Cougars. (And what is it about facing the "undefeated" anyway?) They played hard. They gave it their all. Yes, the Cougars are still undefeated. Although the Junior Varsity didn't play during the main game, they played a fifth quarter scrimmage during which we got to watch our friend's son, Alex play. (Exciting stuff!) Eli was disappointed that he didn't get to play... which didn't diminish his stardom one bit in the eyes of his adoring fans.

We spent the night on the Ansbach Army Base last night and plan to explore the area before heading home this afternoon. We're 26 kilometers from Nurnberg and another little bit from lunch in Czechoslavakia. Or we might meander over to Rothenburg ab der Tauber. Then again, maybe we'll head back toward Mannheim to visit the Auto and Technik Museum in Sinsheim.

Whatever we do, we are ever-grateful for these weekend wanderings. For opportunities to make memories with friends and family. Like the memories of Sunday afternoons at Grandma's house with Uncle Brian and Uncle Lee simultaneously playing Scrabble and watching the football game, me eagerly waiting for a ride on Uncle Gordon's motorcycle... How thankful I am for this chance now to live moments that will be tomorrow's nostalgia.

May your nostalgia-making be blessed in every way!

4 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I saw your blog on Bethany's page and came to check it out. I like what I see here. There's an anonymity in posting personal life stories on the internet, and even though I don't know you personally, I hope you don't mind me stopping by from time to time. You're raising your kids overseas (I assume you're originally from the U.S.?), whih gives us something in common. I like what you said in this post about seizing the present moment for making future items of nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I agree with Adina. An ocean of fall rolls in and the whole world tilts toward Christmas - not in the commercial sort of way, but the north-star-nostalgia of a savior.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I take this as a good sign that you must be feeling better! I am so glad to hear it! Oh, how beautifully phrased Miss Bethany! "the whole world tilts toward Christmas" I love it! Fall has always had the same effect on me... the changing of the leaves seems to always bring a changing of my heart. I love you Sharon... and I totally would have done lunch in Chek!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you went to Czech!

    It seems we're all feeling that nostalgia. I guess it's our job to provide the opportunities now for the young and ignorant to make those memories. One day when they're aged and decrepit like us, they will look back so sweetly and (hopefully) do the same for our grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete