Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Dissection 101

We utilized every inch of our enormous dining room table. Library books lay scattered with pages open to diagrams as we carefully followed dissection procedures. Four bright red tulips, cut and brought in by Eli, lay on four cutting boards. The children each had a pocket knife in hand, their bodies hunched over various diagrams as we began.


Step by step the children made their cuts, drew what they saw, labeled the parts, and took turns reading aloud the purpose and function of each. Much of the time I remained somewhat confused as we compared the diagrams with the real-life laid out before us. They didn't quite match up -- this comparing of one-dimensional with 3-D. No matter, we proceeded anyhow.

When we finished, I finally commented out loud about what I had been thinking silently all along, that all the parts were there, but that the diagram in the book and the real-life flower were slightly... "off." Eli picked up his cutting board, the scraps piled to be taken to the garbage, and as he went out of the room, he said over his shoulder, "That's because the diagram in the book is a lily, Mom. We were dissecting a tulip."
Right.
I knew that... just wanted to see if the children were paying attention... (humbled wink)
But, it dawned on me how often I approach life just like that. I have all my expectations laid out, just waiting for me to realize each "part" one step at a time. I've carefully thought it all through, researched life's diagrams, caught up on the media to see how the Hollywood moms are doing it, read fellow mother's blogs, studied the parenting books, and met with girlfriends to get their advice. Yet, when I attempt to compare the "diagrams" with real-life... they don't exactly match up. All the same veins are there, the daily "to-do" lists comparable, the same basic necesseties: air, water, nutrients... but I keep trying to match my real-life moments with fellow "flowers."
And, so, this is what I'm learning, (for the 8-gzillioneth time), His grace is sufficient for me. "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end." (Jeremiah 29:11) ...an expected end... that He's been fully aware of since the beginning of time! smile. And, if He knows the future and the plans... I'm thinking it's a good idea that I press into Him to find out the next step in my destiny... um, not Angelina Jolie's. (There, I said it...)
The Message puts it this way, "I know what I'm doing. I have it all planned out -- plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for." As for the destiny I'm comparing my life to? "When you call on Me, when you come and pray to Me, I'll listen."
Right. And although I know it... do I really know it? As in living like I believe it?
Recently, a friend and I were talking and she said something I've been mulling over: "Life is short. It's important to live intensely... and intentionally." Do I hear an Amen? How I long to press in to what is true, eternal, to Who is Truth. To live intensely, intentionally... listening to the only One Who knows each person's individual, unique destiny. Including mine.
Moving forward. Fully expectant. Pressing into His grace -- sufficient for me.
To God be all glory!
**Side-note: All's well here... the influenza ran its course, not affecting me or Israel. Everyone is healthy... and ready for more adventure! Thank You, Jesus!!





No comments:

Post a Comment