Sunday, March 30, 2008

Que vous fait revere?


"Please drive slowly!"

Just wanted to touch bases. I'm attempting to download pictures of our bliss-filled Sundays! I know one French phrase. I learned it years ago while perusing a Susan Branch book at my sister-in-law's house: "Que vous fait revere?" It means, "What makes you dream?" Our Sundays here are blissfully, gloriously dreamy! Sweet. Simple. Earthy. Truly a day of rest in every sense of the word.

This morning on the way to church I happened to look down at the speedometer to see how fast I was going only to realize that I was cruising along at 98 miles an hour. Of course, cars were still rushing past me in the fast lane, the whoosh of air brushing against our van as they passed. Before I knew it we arrived at our exit and I slowed to what felt like a crawl -- 70... 65... until it felt like we were hardly moving around the ramp at a mere 30 mph. I smiled to myself as I thought about what it will feel like to travel on the roads when we return to the States someday. How it might feel... slow.

And yet, though the driving is fast here, our lifestyle seems to have slowed to a crawl in this culture. In the States I lived by my calendar, checking it continually to be sure I didn't double-book my appointments. I felt proud, validated, and important when I saw something on my calendar every single day. Ah! So I am humbled... a girlfriend needs me to help love her babies for a day, my child wants to play a game of monopoly or Bananagrams (thank you, APPLE III!!), our family spontaneously decides to go on a walk... and there is no checking my calendar. I say yes.

So I appreciate the road sign above. I deliberately drive that way when I go to visit my friend, Darlene, in the sweet little village of Bickendorf. This man's smiling face and friendly message reminds me to "Please, slowly..." live life! (Of course, I am now faced with buckling down and trying to train myself to focus, lest I get distracted by every. single. little. thing!) smile. Though, I must admit, I love all this time to remember what makes me dream!!!

Que vous fait revere?

Love to you,

Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment